Managing Disability And Diversity At The Work¬place
What is this course About?
Why you need this intensive workshop
Are people with disabilities protected in the workplace?
Yes. The Employment Equity Act, No. 55 of 1998 protects people with disabilities against unfair discrimination and entitles them to affirmative action measures.
Does discrimination still exist in the workplace, despite legislation?
Yes. Unfortunately, ignorance, fear and stereotypes cause people with disabilities to be unfairly discriminated against. As a result, people with disabilities experience high unemployment levels.
Unfair disability discrimination is perpetuated in many ways, and can include:
- Setting employment criteria that excludes disabled people (for example, stressing that an employee must Own and drive a car)
- Keeping disabled employees in low status jobs, earning a lower than average remuneration.
- Inaccessible workplaces (lack of wheelchair access or ablution facilities for the disabled, for example).
- Lack of appropriate technical workplace support.
- Inappropriate or non-existent training for people with disabilities.
GENERAL OVERVIEW OF THE COURSE
- Who defines “Disability” and for what purpose?
- Distinguish between impairment, disability and handicap
- Exploring the realities and pitfalls of Disability Programs
- The medical vs. Social Model of Disability
- Current status of persons with disabilities in South Africa
- Understanding the diversity and demographic of the differently able
- Psycho social aspects impacting on the lives of Persons with Disabilities:
- Personal Issues – Sexuality
- Family Issues – Caregivers
BREAKING THE EMOTIONAL BARRIER – GETTING TO THE HEART OF THE MATTER
- Establishing emotional buy-in, in order to ensure intellectual and practical commitment
EMPOWERING PEOPLE WITH DISABILITY
- What is empowerment in the context of disability?
- What is expected of society in the empowerment process?
- Challenges to the empowerment process
- Strategies and skills for the empowerment process
- Employment Cycle
- Corporate Social Investment
THE LEGISLATIVE PERSPECTIVE
- Political and Legal Issues on disabilities
- Regional/International Perspectives
- Educational Issues for persons with disabilities
- Economic Issues and disability
UN CONVENTION ON RIGHTS AND DIGNITY OF PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES.
- Terminology, etiquette and things to avoid
- Beyond Barriers – Thinking Laterally
- Introducing a perspective view of Disability
- The human rights view
SETTING THE SCENE FOR DISABILITY HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
- How to recruit persons with disabilities
- Sourcing Candidates
- The interview process
- Creating a sustainable Disability Programme
REMOVING THE BARRIERS
- Offering a strategic approach to ensure sustainable disability confidence
- Featuring Meeting Disabilities unique Strategic Model
DEVELOPING AN INTEGRATED FRAMEWORK AROUND DISABILITY,
- What is a Disability Action Plan
- What to do first
- Action Plan Checklist
- Steps to Success
DEFINING DIVERSITY AND DIVERSITY MANAGEMENT
- Mind-mapping your understanding of diversity
- Definitions of diversity
- Legally driven understandings of diversity affirmative action and Employment equity
- Ethically driven understandings of diversity –moral and ethical imperatives
- Insight into Employment Equity and Disability Practicalities
DIVERSITY ISSUES AND DILEMMAS
- Six diversity scenarios
- Solving diversity problems in the workplace
- Learning to apply principles in context
- Appreciation of diverse cultures
- An anthropological view
STEREOTYPES AND PREJUDICES
- What is generalization?
- The nature of Prejudice
RACE AND RACISM
- Racial stereotypes in society
- The storytelling circle method
- Surfacing our attitudes, biases and stereotypes in a context of trust
- A racial diversity case study
- What it means to manage diversity at the personal
and inter-personal levels
- The exclusionary workplace environment