Recruiting, Hiring, and Onboarding Employees
What is this course About?
Finding and hiring the right people is often cited as the number one concern of businesses today. It seems we are all competing for the best and brightest workers. As you will see in our time together in the second course, a critical component of the People Manager Value Proposition is to hire talented people who enable the organization to achieve its strategic goals.
This Recruiting, Hiring, and Onboarding Employees offered by Trainers without Borders is an introduction into the topic of recruitment, selection and onboarding. At the outset of the course we will explore the importance of linking recruitment goals with overall company strategy. We then look at a number of options to recruit and select employees both effectively and legally. Effective recruitment and employee selection ensure that the right people are placed in the right job but it is not always an easy process. Having a well-designed recruitment process helps to increase job satisfaction, reduce wastage of resources, achieve better retention of employee and improves productivity.
This course will help you teach participants how to:
- Analyze the costs incurred by an organization when a wrong hiring decision is made
- Develop a fair and consistent interviewing process for selecting employees
- Prepare better job advertisements and use a variety of markets
- Develop a job analysis and position profile
- Use traditional, behavioral, achievement oriented, holistic, and situational (critical incident technique) interview questions
- Enhance their communication skills
- Effectively interview difficult applicants
- Check references more effectively
- Understand the basic employment and Labour law rights that can affect the hiring process
History of the Interviewing Process
- The history of the interviewing process will be looked at, including Alfred Binet’s ideas, stress interviewing, and structured interviewing.
The Recruitment and Selection Process
- During this session, we will take a quick look at the six stages of the hiring process.
Factors in the Hiring Process
- We will examine the three levels of factors in the hiring process in this session.
- During this session, participants will analyses the cost of hiring an employee.
Job Analysis and Position Profiles
- Determining just what you’re hiring for is the second stage of the hiring process. We will look at performing a job analysis and writing a position profile in this session.
Determining the Skills, You Need
- Once you have analyzed what the job will entail, you will need to determine what technical and performance skills the candidate will need. We will examine various ways of doing this during this session.
- During this session, we will examine the advantages and disadvantages of various advertising methods.
- If you’re going to spend time and money looking for a candidate, you should make sure your ad passes the ten tests of advertising.
- Now that you have the stack of resumes on your desk, what are you going to do with them? Our recommendation is to use a resume screening guide. During this session, we’ll discuss just what that is, how to develop one, and how to use it.
- In addition to interviewing, you may also choose to have candidates complete a technical or performance exercise. We will look at both types of exercises through a lecture.
Problems Recruiters Face
- During this session we will discuss some common mistakes recruiters make and how to avoid them.
- There are also some human mistakes that recruiters make; this will be our focus during this lecture.
- During an interview, it is crucial to be aware of the non-verbal signals that you are giving and receiving. We will explore some of these signals through a lecture and an exercise.
Types of Questions
- Obviously, the ability to ask questions is crucial to an interview. During this session, we will discuss how to use open questions, closed questions, and probes.
Traditional vs. Behavior Interviews
- During this session we will look at what behavioral interviewing is and how it differs from traditional interviewing. Participants will also have the opportunity to develop some sample behavioral questions.
Other Types of Questions
- There are two more key types of questions that you can use during an interview: achievement oriented and holistic. We will take a brief look at both types during this session.
The Critical Incident Technique
- Another type of interview question asks the candidate how they might behave in a certain situation. We will explore why these questions are so valuable, how to develop them, and how to use them.
Listening for Answers
- Listening for what the candidate does and does not say is just as important as asking the right questions. During this session, we will look at some key listening skills.
- During this session, participants will role play one of four difficult applicants in a mock interview. We will also discuss how to get the information you’re looking for out of these types of people.
Interview Preparation and Format
- During this session, we will discuss some things you should do before, during, and after the interview.
Other Interview Techniques
- During the interview, there are some techniques you can use to keep things moving. We will talk about five of the most common methods.
- During this session, we will discuss how to use performance-based rating scales.
- We will look at how to check references, using a reference guide, and who to ask for references.
Human Rights and Labour Law
- Through a brief lecture, participants will learn about some of the key Labour law and human rights issues that recruiters face.
- We will spend the afternoon of Day Two developing an interview guide and role-playing the interview using all the skills we have learned.
- At the end of the day, students will have an opportunity to ask questions and fill out an action plan.
With our Online Training, you SAVE on transport and accommodation and you enjoy the liberty of working at your pace and having the training at your own time.
Trainers without Borders offers customised solutions for your training needs. Please contact us for course pricing and