: Tourist Information Officer
What is this course About?
The purpose of this qualification is to prepare a learner to operate as a Tourist Information Officer. This learner will be equipped with the necessary skills and knowledge to work in a visitor information centre in popular tourist destinations throughout South Africa. The learner will assist with matters such as booking accommodation, arranging local tours and recommending restaurants and popular entertainment activities as well as providing travel, hospitality and accommodation information to tourists, distribute the correct brochures and sell souvenirs and prepare displays for the centre.
They will be able to promote and develop local tourism, and assess tourist opportunities for local communities. This learner will have good organisational skills combined with computer and administrative skills to make online reservations and also use a Central Reservation System (CRS). The learner will also be able to research and advise clients on specific domestic travel requests in order to compile an itinerary according to a set budget.
A qualified learner will be able to:
- Compare attractions and destinations using knowledge of South Africa to advise tourists, visitors and local residents according to their needs.
- Collate information to effectively sell tourism products and services.
- Communicate effectively using appropriate methods to maintain effective customer relations according to organizational standards and customer service of internal and external stakeholders.
- Coordinate and support office services and maintain information management systems to enhance the effective operations of the office.
- Plan, co-ordinate and assist in the administration and setting up of exhibitions and special events
Duration: 12 to 18 months
Entry Requirements: Grade 12 or Level 4 with Communication.